BASIC RULES FOR INSTALL
I know it´s a bit late to come with basic install tips, but it looks like a good thing to give a few guidelines:
If you want to check first if your hardware is supported try a Live CD
1) Don´t forget to do a good backup of important data on your computer even if it is on a partition that won´t be effected by the install !
2) Make a plan in advance on how you want your partitions done ( see Partitions ) and what filesystem you want to use ( Ext3, ReiserFS etc. See FileSystems )
3) Do not uses all your free space of the windows partition, you might want to leave some working-space there for adding new programs or temp files ( CD burning programs need at least 700 MB temp ) we don´t want to cripple your windows OS.
4) BIOS: Put the entry: PnP aware OS on NO ! ( See BIOS Settings )
5) BIOS: First boot device: CD-ROM, second Floppy, third IDE-0
6) Connect all printers, scanners, card readers etc. and make sure they are turned on
7) Check out the README and INSTALL text files on your CD
8) Note down the root-password you make during install. ( once you have used it a couple of times you can burn the evidence )
9) Install the bootloader Lilo or Grub in the MBR ( it will include your windows options automatically ).
Pin this on the wall, and read it again every time you make a new install !
-- May 18 2003 ( Revised Dec 9 2005 ) --